Mum of three and family practitioner, Dr Melinda Ratini at webmd reports that food and drink cannot make you smarter but some things can make you more alert and help you concentrate. She says …
There’s no denying that as we age, our body ages right along with us. The good news is that you can improve your chances of maintaining a healthy brain if you add “smart” foods and drinks to your diet.
- Caffeine, found in coffee, chocolate and energy drinks, gives you a boost of energy and helps you concentrate.
- Sugar can boost your memory and mental ability in the short-term and helps you think – that’s the natural sugar found glucose. Note, however, that too much can have the opposite effect!
- Did I say chocolate is good for you? (Just what I love to hear, lol!) But seriously, dark chocolate contains caffeine and is also a powerful antioxidant. However, only an ounce a day, not that whole pack!
- Your brain needs a good flow of blood to be efficient, so keeping your heart healthy and pumping well will do that. Avocado helps reduce plaque build-up and increases blood flow.
- Likewise, wholegrains like oats with their special fiber help reduce the bad cholesterol to keep the arteries plaque-free and therefore your blood flowing freely to your brain.
Our Brain Food Smoothie is on the Next Page …
Pages: 1 2